Compiled by Spearfish High School Counselors
- For updated information or as a resource, check out our website at spearfish.k12.sd.us/shs/index.htlm/. Then click on menu, department, and guidance.
- Review your transcript to make sure you are meeting all of SHS graduation requirements. Requirements can be found on the SHS web site under Guidance.
- Review your class schedule to be certain you are taking courses relevant to current post-high plans. Be aware of college preparatory requirements!
- Visit college campuses anytime during the junior year (set up appointments through the Admissions Office on that campus or attend on a special “Junior Day”)
- Take advantage of Dual Enrollment at BHSU and articulation opportunities with Western Dakota Technical Institute
- Attend Post High Planning Day October 25, 2012 to visit with technical school representatives, military representatives, and four-year college representatives (in and out of state colleges/universities are represented) at SHS Gym..
- Juniors will have the opportunity to take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) November 13, 2012 as a tool in making career choices.
- DISCOVER Card Services offers one of the only scholarship competitions open to juniors. Look for this in the fall by reading the announcements and checking the scholarship box in the guidance office.
- Representatives from various colleges and military branches visit SHS throughout the year. Arrange to get a guidance pass to visit with a representative. The visitation schedule is published in the daily announcements.
- College-bound juniors may choose to take the PSAT/NMSQT on October 17th; the test is offered ONE DAY only and you must pre-register in the guidance office. The PSAT is very similar to the SAT, a college admissions test. Taking this test will determine if the student qualifies for the National Merit Scholarship Program.
- If interested in a ROTC scholarship or a service academy nomination, the process should begin NOW.
- Juniors register for their senior year classes in February and March.
- Juniors are required to participate in the state mandated Stanford Achievement Test in April. This is not a college entrance exam.
- Juniors should register for the college entrance exam in April or June. You can register online at www.ACT.org
- Utilize Parent Portal. In the fall, you can contact Bev Draine at 717-1208.