Welcome to Spearfish Middle
SMS was stablished in the fall of 1992, which created the opportunity not only to change physical location but to adopt the middle school philosophy for grades 6, 7, and 8. We recognize that middle school age students are undergoing greater physiological, psychological and social changes than at any other period in their lives.
Therefore, we strive to meet our students’ learning needs by providing a supportive environment where students engage in developmentally appropriate curriculum and instructional activities, develop healthy relationships and seek opportunities in a variety of learning experiences in the classroom and beyond.
Key components of Spearfish Middle School are:
* Small learning communities;
* Adult advocacy;
* Student self-awareness;
* Culture of collaborative leadership;
* Inclusive atmosphere;
* Developmentally appropriate curriculum and instruction;
* Diverse learning experience;
* Educators who value and are prepared to work with this age group;
* Parent and Community partnerships.
We are excited to partner with you in making this an excellent experience; it is our mission to empower all students to succeed in a changing world.